About the castle

Castle Drosendorf is not only important regarding educational policy, but also in tourism and culture. The educational institution and B&B Castle Drosendorf is more than a centre for education and further training, it is a place filled with life and a popular destination for day trips.

The castle offers 21 rooms with a total of 60 beds. The historic, elegant rooms all feature ensuite bathrooms (bathtub or shower), WC, satellite TV and a radio.

The comfort of these beautiful and spacious rooms meet with today’s demands . They are available as single-, double-, family rooms and apartments.

Schloss Drosendorf
Schloss Drosendorf Turm
Schloss Drosendorf Hexenhaus

History

The castle was constructed on the eastern part of the town to protect the side of the surrounding mountain that was hard to defend. After a fire caused by lightning in 1694, when the whole castle burned to the grounds, the castle was rebuilt in the layout it still retains today.

The Romanesque-gothic heart of the building was enlarged in the Renaissance style. The castle’s only tower was demolished in 1710.

The courtyard contains a carved stone fountain with the Lamberg coat of arms, a stone crest (created in 1548) with the Mrakesch coat of arms and a sundial. The painted coat of arms featured on the south wing of the castle is the Hoyos family crest. Since 1822 the castle has been in possession of the family Hoyos-Sprinzenstein.

The gothic castle chapel was built within the castle moat in 1681, which back then was considerably deeper. Inside the chapel and to the right of the altar is a painting of Saint Donatus, the protector from thunderstorms, as well as an crucifixion group. The altarpiece shows the coronation of Mother Mary.

In the 1960´s, the castle was extended, refurbished and turned into a B&B. The external renovation took place between 1972 and 1980. During this renovation the courtyard received a cobble stone floor and the emblem of the Count Kurz was installed above the portal. Between 2013 – 2015 the entire roof was replaced and the chimney stacks refurbished.

Since 1978, the castle has been the home of the educational institution of the Lower Austrian Chamber of Agricultural Workers.